
Last night, I happened to catch the opening of "You've Got Mail" - a 1998 film starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Watching the film eight years later, it's interesting to see how things have changed in the world of technology.
The movie begins with quick construction of a virtual model of New York City. It's filmed as if a person was on the computer working on an electronic file. Click. Zoom into a street of New York where Tom Hanks is walking. Click. Zoom into the home of Meg Ryan's home. You get the picture.
Then, this next part ... is quite interesting ... from two perspectives: the technology part and the human behaviour part.
Technology: Meg Ryan's character sits down at her desk and gets her computer connected to the internet through dial-up. Yes, I realize many people in the world still use dial-up, but most households have some form of cable or high-speed internet. I haven't heard the screeching sounds of a modem for quite a while.
Human Behaviour: Actually, both Meg and Tom's characters behave similarily before checking their e-mail. They wait for their respective partners to leave the home and then check the "coast is clear" before they engage in their virtual "affair". The two have never met, but they seem to be skulking around. Also, Meg Ryan's character writes to Tom Hanks about her anticipation to receive his e-mail.
E-mail is still prevelant eight years after the movie was released. However, I think while there is still the anticipation of "Did s/he e-mail?" there's another dimension ... "Is s/he online?" In the mid-1990s (that I'm aware of), there was IRC (Internet Relay Chat). Now, there are more user-friendly programs ... such as MSN, Yahoo Messanger ... and now online dating sites have caught on and put that idea to use.
What happened to the days of "snail mail" (regular letters through an institution called Canada Post)? I remember having penpals as a kid. If I got a piece of mail, it would just make my day! (Note: I think that was the appeal of being part of "The Mailbox Club" - a Sunday-school-like correspondence course for kids.) As an adult, getting any piece of snail mail that isn't a flyer or bill is rare these days, especially in this world that is so heavily reliant on e-mail, faxes and Instant Messaging. Who has the time to pen an old-fashioned letter?
I guess it means that much more when someone does take the time, thought and effort to write something by hand and then walk/drive to the nearest postal outlet (oh yes, and spend the 50-some cents to purchase a stamp).
No comments:
Post a Comment