Happy Chinese New Year!
Or as the animal of the year would say, cock-a-doodle-doo!
Yes, it's the year of the rooster (or chicken).
Yes, my family ate chicken for dinner (amongst other yummy foodstuffs). We eat chicken most nights it seems. Anyhow, it was a nice dinner (although I ate later than the rest of the family).
Every dish has significance. Usually I can't remember their meanings. Suddenly, I feel very malnourished in terms of culture. Even though my parents and chinese school teachers taught me these rituals and festivals, it doesn't stick in my memory too well.
Christal, the elder of my two cousins, was saying she felt like she was having an identity crises in terms of her heritage. Was she Canadian? or Chinese? Most Canadian-born Chinese feel pulled by this dilemma of wanting to fit in with their Canadian friends, but also wanting to honour their parents and culture.
Meanwhile, my younger cousin, Jo (short for Johanna) is preparing a traditional fan dance for some talent night or something of that nature. And recently, she wrote a paper about chinese gangs. She was studying the norms and values of this particular group. It's encouraging to see the younger generation take such interest in their heritage.
5 comments:
I just found out from Aunt Nancy another ritual I hadn't heard of yet! Apparently you're supposed to sleep on your lucky money you receive. I don't know why though!
I forgot to say what I originally came to post on! I had Chinese New Year with a couple of friends, one Canadian Chinese, the other Caucasian. We decided to have Asian fusion. So I made BBQ pork sushi rolls and Hawaiin pan fried dumplings (crab and cream cheese). Wish you were here!
i just found out why it's bad luck not to wash your hair on new year's day ... apparently, back then, if you did wash your hair, you were more prone to getting sick on new year's day... which was a bad omen...
as for the feast, enitsuj, it sounds mouth-watering ... :P
that's not what I heard about why you don't wash your hair on new year's day. I thought it was due to the superstition that you wash out good luck... or maybe it was that you're washing out good luck if you do any cleaning on new years day...
it could be a combination of the two.... bad luck to wash out the good ... and w/o hair dryers, washing hair and then going out could increase your chances of getting sick...
Post a Comment