Phew!
Made it through the first day of work relatively smoothly. It was a pretty relaxed first day. Got up about 7 a.m. even though the alarm was set at 6.30 a.m. (groan). Sharon and I just caught the bus as it was arriving shortly after 7.30 a.m. (perfect timing!) (side note: Sharon is my friend whom I was one of her bridesmaids last year and I'm also staying with her these days. :)
So, it took about an hour to get downtown to work from her place. Thankfully I'll only have to do this four a couple of weeks. When I get moved into my new place (only four or five subway stops away from work), I should be able to sleep in a bit ...
Anyhow, timing was perfect at work, too. As I headed into the main building, I ran into my supervisor. She happened to be going into work early. So, she took me to security to get my photo ID badge, and brought me upstairs. I got a quick tour and lots of materials to read (re: cataloging, union and cbc general stuff). In the afternoon, it was all about cataloging. Not too bad for the first run. Also got to meet my other supervisor (for reference) near the end of the day. I'll get to work with him next week after I master cataloging ... *right*.
I was a bit apprehensive about cataloging since I hadn't done it ... well, since I did descriptive cataloging in Winter 2006. My first attempt wasn't too bad. Mind you, they don't expect perfection the first go around (thankfully).
The co-workers are all friendly. They're all willing to pitch in ... and answer questions and help out. It's very collegial. My cubicle neighbours get to work on things like the documentary side of The National, Venture, Marketplace .... Children's programming! It's a pretty laid back atmosphere, which I really appreciate. And, to top things off, there was a bag full of leftover Hallowe'en candy on the "snack" table. :D
Funny thing ... I ran into one of my former first-year roommates at Ryerson. She works in the library, too. Also, I saw a former j-school classmate in the newsroom. Small world!
So far, things are off to a good start!
2 comments:
less than 6 degrees of separation for the hwang sisters, eh? i'm not surprised you knew 2 people already! glad to hear you are fitting in well :)
no doubt! i seem to be getting the hang of things so far ... at least the cataloging part ... :)
Post a Comment